9 May 2013

L Is For Momentary Lapse

Yesterday started out great, I was upbeat and optimistic even though the weather was grey and drizzly. Then I received an email from someone I don't really know at all...


It is not always true that those who know us best can hurt us the most. After reading one short sentence I found myself, inexplicably crying, and not because what was written was sad. Rather, I felt that I'd been chastised by a child, and even though I put myself in the other person's shoes, it still left an all too familiar sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

This sudden burst of emotion took me by surprise, it had been a while since this had happened to me, damn those over active tear ducts. My first instinct was to reprimand that insolent child but at the same time I knew that what had been written wasn't meant to hurt, after all we didn't know each other. Yet somehow, that was exactly what that short sentence had done.

I took a long, hot shower, in the hope that it would wash away the negativity that had descended on me. I turned on my essential oil diffuser in an attempt to cleanse my mood. Finally, I curled up on my bed and went to sleep in the middle of the afternoon. Something else I haven't done in a while, consequently I was up until the wee hours of the morning.

Thankfully, when I woke up today the sun was shining not just outside but in me as well. It was all but a momentary lapse and not a step back into that dark place I’d resided in for so long!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, those tear ducts are something, aren't they? I think those lapses are in a way necessary, to remind us that we must always be vigilant against the things that could really bring us down. Just my 1.5 cents on the matter ;)
Thank you for following my strange little bloggy-space! I look hope to be welcomed as I wander the halls of yours also!

Joëlle said...

Hi Starving Activist thanks for popping by and posting your 1.5 cents on the matter :p