11 May 2013

C Is For A Cautionary Tale


Three years ago day-for-day I had a very public breakdown at work, in front of all and sundry. Not really my finest hour! This was not my first time in the dark corridors of depression, but I promised myself there and then that it would be my last.

When I went to see my doctor I honestly believed that I would take a couple of weeks off work and come back rested and relaxed. Well that was three years ago and I still haven’t gone back to work. Even though I’m doing a lot better I’m in no rush to go back into the stressful work environment that led me to my depressive breakdown in the first place.

 The only way to learn is by making mistakes, falling flat on your face, picking yourself up, brushing yourself off and trying something different. No one can get everything right the first time around; a certain amount of trial and error is required.

I can now look back over those three years with a sense of peace and achievement. I know myself better than I ever have before; I know my triggers, my boundaries and my limitations. I am at a point in my life where I’ve made enough mistakes to know what doesn’t work for me, and even though I still don’t have all the answer I do know the things I should avoid.

Interesting Articles:

4 comments:

ajwrites57 said...

DJ, thanks for boldly sharing your story and striking at the heart of the stigma of depression! Bravo, sir! Keep up the good fight!

Joëlle said...

Thanks for dropping by A Long and showing your support!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this story; I remember a friend of mine sharing about someone she knew who left work during lunch hour, checked herself into a psychiatric hospital, and told them "No matter what you do, don't tell my job where I am"--she was so stressed out from it she had been driven to a breakdown. Glad you are doing better, and pray you keep on doing so!

Joëlle said...

Hi Starving Activist, thanks for dropping by, reading my blog and showing your support. I hope your friend's colleague is doing better and has now found herself a far less stressful job.