6 May 2013

H Is For Herbal

Yesterday was such a lovely sunny day that I spent it sitting on a friend’s terrace, sipping a cool cocktail, or two, while catching up. It was the perfect end to a great week!

I have already discussed the more traditional methods used to treat depression, but there are some very good herbal remedies and essential oil blends to help us deal with stress, as well as improve our emotional well-being.


St. John's Wort is used to treat mild depression and anxiety, while Valerian is great for anxiety and insomnia. There are some wonderful Bach Flower Remedies for depression, anxiety and insomnia, namely Rescue Remedy and Rescue Sleep.

I've always enjoyed certain essential oil blends, either in a diffuser to infuse the house with their soothing smells, or a couple of drops in a nice hot bath to relax and revitalise. My two all time favourites are Tears and Stars. They are blended specifically for children but work equally well on us grown ups.

There are some essential oil blends in roll on format, which I always have with me in my handbag, for when you're on the go. In addition, try breathing through your nose, a practice called pranayama, equal breath, used in yoga.

Hope you all have a pleasant, stress free week!

No comments: