14 May 2013

F Is For True Friends...



... The kind of friends who stick with you through thick and thin. The kind of friends who don't give up on you, even when you might have given up on yourself. The kind of friends who love you unconditionally, without hidden agendas or judgement. These kinds of friends are rare, and hard to come by, but without whom you may not have made it through the really difficult times in your life.

I consider myself exceedingly lucky to have a small group of tight-knit friends who have done just that, no matter how crazy and irrational I became during my 10-year battle with depression. These are the people I would do anything for even if they never ask, I would still be there to help out anyway I could. Just like they were for me...

Since starting this blog I've had many people comment that they are afraid to admit their 'Mental Illness' to those nearest and dearest to them, for fear of losing them... This has not been my experience, and for that I'll be eternally grateful. If, however, this is your experience, I have one thing to say, that person/people were not your true friend(s) to begin with. This is not a reflection on you, but rather a reflection on them!

"A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg
even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."
[Bernard Meltzer]

No comments: