28 April 2013

Why The Stigma?

Back in 2003, I went from being a happy, outgoing, strong person to a gibbering wreck that spent most of her time in bed, either sleeping or crying. Nothing made sense any more, I'd lost the plot, lost control and I hated myself for it. The situation wasn't made any easier as I knew nothing about depression. In fact, up to that point, I thought that depression was for the weak and pathetic. How very wrong I was!


There is such a stigma attached to depression, which is so sad, after all it is an illness like any other. We aren't chastised or laughed at for catching a cold or breaking a leg - then again, it depends how you broke your leg - so why should it be any different with depression. Especially today, when so many people suffer from this debilitating illness. Do not stop to wonder what others think of you; instead focus your energy on getting to know yourself.

One of my reasons for starting this blog is to spread the word and share with others currently suffering alone and in silence. It is important for anyone suffering from depression to realise that they are not alone; so many others are in the same rocky boat without oars. My second reason for starting this blog is to let others know that there is hope at the end of that deep, dark tunnel. Finally, having been through this vicious cycle twice, and come out the other end, I wanted to do something that benefited those currently going through it.

Depression is nothing to be ashamed of; you are not the first or the last person who will suffer from its debilitating effects. It is a well-travelled road, but fear not there are exits along the way! So often we lead with our heads without giving our hearts a chance to speak.

If everyone were cast in the same mould,
there would be no such thing as beauty.
[Charles Darwin]

No comments: